Places‎ > ‎USA‎ > ‎


Northern Michigan attracted a lot of Murkovic's in the early 20th century. Most went to Ironwood, Calumet or Cedar River.


Calumet, originally known as Red Jacket, was an interesting conglomeration of people, buildings, and businesses back in the booming copper mining days. From 1890 to 1910, 60,000 to 70,000 people of every nationality called Calumet home. Calumet Township housed 60 saloons, 33 churches, 30 schools and five theatres. There were Chinese Laundries, Greek Candy Stores, Syrian Fruit Stores, and many other businesses unique to the area. Along with this, there were favorite locations and hangouts for each separate nationality to get together.

In 1913 there was a mass exodus caused by a miners’ strike. Because of this 10,00 people left the area. In 1921, the government stopped buying copper. The Detroit area automobile plants were hiring so 6,000 more people headed south to find work. Calumet slowed down to a crawl very quickly. The great Depression of May 2, 1932 saw everything shut down. 3,000 more left Calumet and the area came to a screeching halt. As time went on the population decreased again in 1968 to 12,000 and at the 1991 census, Calumet Township was home to 7000.


The town was incorporated as a village in 1887 with a population of 1,000. On September 17, 1887, over half of the downtown business portion of the city burned for over three hours. About this time, hoards of immigrants came to Ironwood to work in the mines and logging camps that surrounded the area. They came from Finland, Sweden, England, Poland, Italy, the Slavic countries and the rest of Europe. They came to fulfill their dreams in Ironwood.

Approaching the turn of the century, Ironwood was a bustling metropolis of about 10,000, having gained status as a city in April 1889. In 1920-21 Ironwood’s population alone was 19,000 people.  Now, that’s the size of the entire county population.

Cedar River

Cedar River, once a mill town at the mouth of the Big Cedar River, is now the center of an popular resort area. Only a couple dozen people live in the village itself. Cedar River once bustled with a sawmill and a pier where lumber was shipped to Chicago. Then the sawmill burned and most residents moved away. Two churches on the highway remain from the lumber village: the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart (1887) and the Mission Chapel (1889). 

Petar & Kata Murkovic - Peter (born in 1864 or 1866) arrived in the US from Stajnica in 1910 and again in 1912 but this time from Canada. His wife Kata may never have come to the US. He has connections to Cedar River, Ironwood and Calumet in Michigan and to Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada, Read more ...

More current research: 

Terry L Murkovich (Aug 26, 1958) 2221 Van Wert Rd, Albion, MI 49224 (517) 062-9632 {from Details confirmed per US Search.}
Jerome A Murkovich (b. abt 1946) 3423 Fisher, Howell, MI 48843 (931) 484-6989 {from Per US Search, now in Grandview, MO?}
Frona Murkovic Grand Rapids MI 87 View Details {from}
MURKOVIC, Frona 11/10/1986 obituary Grand Rapids, Michigan Grand Rapids Press Obituaries
SSN 386-10-5262 ; 49504  Grand Rapids, Kent, Michigan, United States of America; born 13 Jul 1917; died Nov 1986
Frona B Murkovich - per Michigan records
per ancestry tree: Married Robert Giles, had daughter Arlene Ray Giles (?-1983) and grand-daughter Michelle Anderson
has some unclaimed property with the Michigan Dept of Treasury: MURKOVIC FRONA DEC GRAND RAPIDS, MI Property Number: 3046228 Transferred from: AMERICAN BOX BOARD COMPANY

Given Name: Frona
Middle Name:
Surname: Murkovic
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 13 July 1917
Social Security Number: 386-10-5262
State: Michigan
Last Place of Residence: Kent, Michigan
Previous Residence Postal Code: 49504
Event Date: November 1986
Age: 69
Collection: Frona Murkovic, "United States Social Security Death Index"